WESTERN TANZANIA SAFARI, Off the beaten track, this Tanzania safari holiday offers the best game viewing in some of the most remote areas of the country. Enjoy an abundance of big game at Katavi before spending time tracking Chimpanzee’s and relaxing on Lake Tanganyika.
- Spectacular game viewing and walking safaris in the remote Katavi Game Reserve.
- Chimpanzee trekking from the spectacular Greystoke Mahale.
- Relaxing on the pristine sandy beach at Lake Tanganyika, as well as fishing and kayaking in gin-clear waters.
Day 1 Kilimanjaro
Arrive Kilimanjaro where you will be met and transferred to Arusha Coffee Lodge. Arusha Coffee Lodge is set in the foothills of Mount Meru just outside the Bustling ‘Safari Capital’ of Tanzania, Arusha. the lodge offers the perfect haven for relaxation either before or at the end of your safari..
Overnight: Mount Meru Game Lodge
Day 2 – 5 Katavi – Chada Katavi
Transfer to Arusha airport before flying to Katavi. Spend the next four days on safari in the Katavi Game Reserve. Located in western Tanzania, the Katavi Game reserve is famous for its phenomenal game viewing and huge numbers of hippo, Buffalo and crocodile but to name a few. The accommodation at Chada Katavi consists of just six, small and intimate safari tents that are built amongst the fruit trees, overlooking the Chada Plains. Each tent is built on a raised platform and comes equipped with an en-suite bathroom, bucket shower and eco-flush loo. The main dining tent and library can be found in a nearby clearing offering guests the perfect seclusion to while away the hours after a long day’s safari. Walking safaris are the main activity on offer at Chada Katavi and the vast open plains offer true sense of what the African wilderness is all about, the sights, smells and sounds of the bush.
Overnight: Chada Katavi
Day 6 – 8 Lake Tanganyika – Greystoke Mahale
Greystoke Mahale is set on a pristine, white sandy beach on Lake Tanganyika with a stunning backdrop of the 8000 foot Mahale Mountains rising behind it. The main mess building is the only structure that is actually on the beach and the six wood and thatched bandas are set on the edge of the forest line at the base of the mountains. Each banda comes equipped with a dressing room, an upstairs chill-out deck, as well as an en-suite bathroom with hot and cold running water, strong showers and flush loos. The main activity on offer at Greystoke Mahale is the Chimpanzee trekking but guests can also enjoy a variety of other activities including forest walks, birding, boating and kayaking on Lake Tanganyika, as well as fishing and swimming excursions. Overnight: Greystoke Mahale
Day 9 Depart
Fly from Mahale to Kilimanjaro in time to catch your onward international flight home.
- All accommodation as detailed in the itinerary.
- Daily breakfast.
- Private transfers throughout.
- All sightseeing, entrance fees and guide services as detailed in the itinerary.
- Internal flights where detailed in the itinerary.
- International flights.
- Meals not indicated in the itinerary.
- Items of a personal nature such as laundry, drinks, gratuities (discretionary).
- Entrance fees and excursions not specifically mentioned as included.
- Travel insurance or visa fees.